Saturday, May 14, 2011

Day one: The beginning


So my first day in Vietnam was very exciting. My roommate and I woke up at 5am because of the jetlag. We subsequently went to the gym very early in the morning and worked out a little. From the roof top view we watched as some, what seemed like, elementary school aged children lining up to start their day. After that I went to eat breakfast in the hotel lobby. I ate an egg and some other foreign foods.
            We went onto the bus and drove through the Vietnamese streets for about 25 minutes until we arrived at UEF. Once we got to UEF we got a tour from our tour guide, Tin. After that we had the welcoming ceremony which was the UEF students performing a series of skits. I socialized with the Vietnamese student who sat next to me, Nguyen. He was extremely sociable and very nice. I spoke to him about his studies and his future plans for education after UEF. After this we had a half- hour break in which we hung out and became accustomed to the “Canteen.”
            After the UEF visit we went back to the hotel and changed into business casual clothing and proceeded to visit the U.S. consulate. We received a tour from the U.S. delegate, which was extremely interesting and informative.
            I greatly enjoyed my first day/ impressions of Vietnam and look forward to exploring the rest of the culture and learning more about the culture too!

No comments:

Post a Comment