Sunday, May 15, 2011

Day five: ACDI/ VOCA Success Alliance


Today we had a guest lecturer, Nguyen Anh Tuan, at UEF who spoke about rural planning and development for the Mekong Delta. He was a very charismatic man who spoke to us for an hour going through the different cultural and geographical aspects of the Mekong Delta. I was not feeling very well during the class so I was having some trouble being completely attentive but from what I read in his handout after the class I was very interested about the Mekong Delta.
            We had our language class after the Mekong Delta lecture. Our tour guide Tin told the teacher to call on me more during the class because I had been quiet the previous few classes so throughout the class I got called on to speak more which was fine with me. Speaking Vietnamese is fun for me; I have never spoken a tonal language before and its interesting practicing making the sounds.  
            In the afternoon we had a company visit with ACDI/ VOCA Success Alliance. This is the company that my partner and I, Jay, had for our pre- departure presentation. ACDI/ VOCA is a small NGO that focuses on the production of cocoa plants in Vietnam. This company is not as heavily funded or big as our previous company visits but nonetheless the group was excited to learn about the company.  The visit was interesting and the questions asked were very good. It is amazing what the company does for the Vietnamese farmers. The opportunity for them to benefit their lives is something that is amazing on its own. 

No comments:

Post a Comment